On Tuesday, Tinsley (8-weeks-old) had his third breathing emergency. Though it did not seem as severe, it was actually a sign that his airway has become much more delicate than it has been. They admitted us to the hospital and decided to look at some other possible explanations including if he could be asiprating his feeds. A swallow study was done today (intermittent xrays as he eats) and afterward he had his fourth episode. We have decided to have a trach done so that all of his airway obstructions (there are at least 4) can be bypassed and he can breathe easier. The surgery was Friday and it appears to have been a success.
Tinsley is now sedated and on a ventilator to give him time to heal and to gain his strength back. He will likely be in the pediatric ICU for a week then in the hospital for 2 weeks for recovery.
Hidi and I are trusting in God’s sovereign plan and are hopeful that the surgery will help him to become more comfortable and not allow him to experience further damage. God continues to show himself faithful. In spite of the fears and uncertainties we have no doubt that He has our best interests at heart and that His plan is best, even when it is painful.