My rating: 4 of 5 stars
My son, Tinsley, has been through so much in his short life. He has spent most of the first 3 months of his life in the hospital or the emergency room. When we last took him to the ER I told him, “We’re home!” Even at his age he knows that people who try to help him cause him pain. He probably does not understand that what is painful is meant to help him, but I am sure that he will understand that better than most as he grows.
The book The Prince’s Poison Cup is a story in answer to a small girl’s question of why medicine tastes so badly. In the cloak of a sage grandfather, RC Sproul tells about a king who loved his people so much that he sent his son, the prince, to drink a wretched poison from a fountain in order to die and reconcile the people with their king. Drinking the horrid poison was the only way to set things right, and the prince did it to save the people that his father loved best.
Tinsley has a very strong opinion of books at his age (he loves to hear CH Spurgeon and hates his mommy’s theology book). He was absolutely taken by the artwork in this book, starring at each picture as I showed it to him. I know that he does not now understand the words, but I am eager to share this story with him again and again to help not only give him context for his pain, but as a way to talk about our Savior Jesus Christ.